How to Choose a Good Supplement Company
Shopping for supplements can be a challenging task. After all, everyone has come across shelves full of bottles of the most varied colors and sizes and spent minutes, or even hours, contemplating them, not knowing what to take home.
Those who buy online face the same problem as the variety of brands with a virtual presence is huge.
This article clarifies the main criteria you should evaluate when choosing a dietary supplement brand. That way, buying supplements will hopefully become much easier.
Safety and Efficacy
The FDA doesn’t regulate supplements and vitamins the same way it regulates drugs. The agency doesn’t review these products for safety and efficacy before they go to market.1,2
But manufacturers must still follow Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMPs), and the FDA acts against adulterated or misbranded dietary supplements.1,2
Manufacturers can subject their products to third-party testing to evaluate: 1,2
- Standardized quality between batches
- Correctly stated dosage
- Ingredient purity
- Potentially harmful contaminants
- Label transparency
- Banned Substances Control Group (BSCG)
- NSF International
- Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)
- Quality Assurance International (QAI)
- USDA Organic
Look for evidence of the product’s effectiveness in scientific studies from credible publications. You may search in the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Pubmed database (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed).1
You may also call the manufacturer and ask if they can send you the publication to back up a particular health claim. 1
Additives, colorings, and artificial flavorings
Read the label. Low-quality supplements often contain additives that prevent you from absorbing the active ingredient – the nutrient you want.3
Look for clean and pure products with no added sugar, colorings, additives, or artificial flavorings. 3
If you have allergies, take extra care since these products may contain gluten, soy, dairy, and other allergens. 3
Use sustainable agriculture and harvesting practices
Prefer companies that respect the environment. These companies typically use sustainable agriculture and harvesting practices, avoiding threatening endangered species.4
If possible, choose products that are not tested on animals.
Include high-quality ingredients
The best supplement companies select the best quality active ingredients, with the most effective and absorbable forms of the nutrients. 4
Check the bioavailability product’s bioavailability - the amount of product the body absorbs. Some forms of nutrients are easier to absorb than others.
The supplement needs to be affordable, but the price isn't everything. Review all the aspects mentioned above before choosing an option that fits your pocket. After all, it's worth investing in your health.
Aim for a balance between a reasonable price and high quality and find the option that best suits you.
Choosing a supplement brand is complicated, with so many options on the market. So look beyond beautiful packaging and miraculous claims.
Choose a trusted, certified company that uses quality ingredients and tests its products to ensure their effectiveness and safety.
- Vitamins and Supplements: How to Choose Wisely. WebMD.2022. Available: https://www.webmd.com/diet/how-to-evaluate-vitamins-supplements. Access: 07/04/2022.
- 14 of the best vitamin brands for 2022: How to choose. Medical News Today. 2022. Available: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/14-best-vitamin-brands. Access: 07/04/2022.
- 7 tips for choosing a quality supplement. Better You, 2017. Available: https://betteryou.com/blogs/health-hub/7-tips-choosing-quality-supplement. Access: 07/04/2022.
- 6 Tips for Choosing the Best Supplement Brand. Bastyr University. 2012. Available: https://bastyr.edu/news/health-tips/2012/03/6-tips-choosing-best-supplement-brand#:~:text=Utilize%20sustainable%20agriculture%20and%20harvesting,forms%20of%20vitamins%20and%20minerals. Access: 07/04/2022.